July 14, 2017

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: Beneath These Lies (Beneath #5)


Beneath These Lies (Beneath #5), by Meghan March
Publish Date:
March 15, 2016
Publisher: self-published
Format: audiobook, purchased
Genre: adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Rating: 5 STARS


(Synopsis) Look, but don’t touch…she might as well wear a neon sign that says it. It just makes me want her more.


She might be above me in every way, but I still want her under me.


I’ve got no business touching her rich-girl skin, but that won’t stop me from stealing a taste. Because rules were meant to be broken—especially when the prize is so fine.


In a world where nothing is as it seems, what's buried beneath these lies?

Meghan March's Beneath series is getting ready to close in a few weeks with the seventh and final book. It's a good excuse for me to get all caught up so that I can read it as soon as it comes out. Because, the main character in that last book played a pivotal role in Beneath These Lies, and I now want this person to get that elusive HEA so badly, I can taste it. 

But, back to the present. I've thoroughly enjoyed every book in Meghan March's Beneath series. They all take place in New Orleans, and I can honestly say, it's one of my favorite cities in which to set a book. Nevermind that I've never been there before - it seems like such a rich and vibrant place, and that truly comes to life in the Beneath series. 

The setting is only one small reason why I love these books so much. The main reason is, of course, the characters. Meghan writes the alphaest of males. All her heroes have been strong, capable, protective, and flawed in some important way or another. And lucky us - in Beneath These Lies, we get TWO of them. On one hand you have police detective Rhett Hennessey - a truly good man whose position on the force is tainted somewhat due to the actions of his deceased brother. And on the other hand you have Rix - the leader of the most powerful NOLA gang, a drug dealer and an all around shady character. You'd think Valentina's choice would be easy. 

Fortunately for Rix, Valentina needs him in order to secure the safety of someone she's close to. That means, he can spend time with her, talk with her, and get close to her, all in the name of giving "updates." Valentina, being the wonderfully strong heroine that she is, doesn't make it easy on him. I mean, he IS a notorious gang-banger, after all. 

The love triangle (that really isn't much of a triangle at all, since it was obvious - at least to me - who Valentina would end up with from square one), the sticky situation in which Valentina's friend finds herself, and the big twist that I knew was coming, but still loved when it happened all make for an incredible read. Beneath These Lies was dangerous and suspenseful and super sexy. 

If I'm going to be honest, there's one more reason why I've been loving the Beneath series. Well, two more reasons, really - Andy Arndt and Sebastian York. The power couple of romance books has narrated every book in this series, and like all the other books they've read together, their performance is superb. I've done every book in this series in audio format specifically because of the narrators, and I will finish out the series the same way. They are just so good together as they read their dual POV parts and make the characters come to life. 

No comments: