December 23, 2013

NEW ADULT MONDAYS: Pulse (Collide #2)

The New Adult genre - their bad boys and big problems and epic loves make them engrossing tales that are so easy to lose yourself in. What's not to love about that? And, now, thanks to the cool chicks at Bewitched Bookworms, we can show these books the love they deserve in a weekly feature - New Adult Mondays.

Pulse (Collide #2), by Gail McHugh  
Published September 17, 2013
Publisher:
Atria Publishing
Format:
audiobook, purchased
Genre: 
new adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble

Rating:  4 STARS

(From Goodreads)
“Do you know how scary it is to want something so bad you’re willing to change your whole life for it?”

Emily Cooper is ready to risk everything to be with the man who has consumed her thoughts and dreams since the fateful day they met. Unraveling fast, she can only cling to the hope that Gavin Blake still wants her.

Nursing his wounded heart, Gavin has cut himself off from society and retreated into a self-destructive, mind-numbing world. Emily isn’t used to being the strong one, but she’ll have to find the daring and confidence within to fight for their love and bring Gavin back from the edge—even if it means losing herself to their all-consuming, pulse-pounding passion. A New York Times bestseller, Pulse is the unforgettable conclusion to the story of Emily and Gavin that began with Collide.

 
I loved so much about Pulse. The angsty beginning, the drama-filled middle, the swoony ending. Bottle caps and baseball. Hot sex and a book boyfriend for life. It was pretty darn epic.

We pick up in Pulse immediately where we left off in Collide (which I personally am very thankful for - I hate huge time lags between series installments!) with Emily finally making her choice between Gavin and Dillon and setting off to make things right. And, for once things finally seem to be going her way. Until yet another bomb is dropped in the middle of her life, and now Emily and her new relationship have to deal with a new challenge.

Emily, who was ridiculously frustrating in Collide, finally gets her crap together in Pulse. It made her much more palatable and even likable. I was so happy about that, because I really wanted to love her. Better than that, I really respected her for the decisions she made in Pulse. 

Gavin... well, what can I say about Mr. Tall, Dark and F*ckable? He is the epitome of bookish awesomesauce. He's gorgeous, rich, attentive, always says the most swoony things, and is amazing in bed. Seriously, I don't think he could get any more perfect.

Which brings me to point of contention #1. He was TOO perfect. Doesn't he ever get mad at Emily? Have a bad day at work and take it out on her? He had no flaws, which makes him a flawed character for me.

As much as I love romance and need it in my books, even I was getting a little tired of the constant declarations of love and devotion between those two. It was a bit too much - a bit too sugary sweet and sappy.

And, the biggest star-knocker-offer is "that chapter." (Those who've read it know what I'm talking about.) About 75% through the book, there is a chapter that had me gasping, crying and completely freaking out. The thing is, there was absolutely no point to it whatsoever. None. It was like shoving drama in with a crowbar. And when everything was resolved, I was left kinda pissed off. Why put me through all that? What was the purpose?

All that being said, I absolutely, without a doubt recommend this entire series. The love story is definitely one for the ages, and despite how it might sound, I really, really loved it.

No comments: