January 14, 2013

REVIEW: Slammed (Slammed #1)

Slammed (Slammed #1), by Colleen Hoover
Published January 5, 2012
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Format:  Paperback - own
Genre:  New Adult Contemporary Romance

Rating:  4 STARS

(From Goodreads) Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. 

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.


Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


I don't know what it is about the New Adult genre, but it really has me hooked. After reading Beautiful Disaster last month, I knew I wanted more, so I started researching the more popular NA authors. I kept coming across Colleen Hoover's name. She's written several NA books, with Hopeless being her most recent release. I asked for Slammed for Christmas, and was so excited to receive it, it was the first of my Christmas books that I read. 

One thing that seems to be most prevalent in the NA genre books is emotion. And, I'm talking emotion with a capital E. The main characters may be only slightly older than those in YA stories, but their problems are much more grown up. Slammed is a perfect example. Layken is still reeling from the sudden death of her father when her mother pulls up hers and her brother's roots and moves them hundreds of miles away. Will is a 21-year-old trying to fill some very big shoes when he meets Layken. 

Although they have an instant connection (it really is very nearly love at first sight), the two are soon faced with some really tough situations, both as a couple and as individuals. Without giving too much away, I'll say that although I saw some of these problems coming, that didn't make them any less impactful. Hoover's writing and story progression had me frustrated and confused for the characters involved, and, more than once, in tears along with them. 

Honestly, I'm not a very big fan of poetry. I just don't "get it" usually. Although I didn't think that the poetry featured in Slammed was as convoluted as some I've read, it didn't really move me like I think it was supposed to. I don't think that's Hoover's fault - it's me. I just don't have the poetry bone, I guess. But, I did understand what it was supposed to lend to the story, and it was a unique touch - a good way to reveal secrets and perspectives. 

I liked Slammed so much that I've added Point of Retreat (Slammed #2) as well as Hopeless to my TBR list. My NA list is growing by the day.

2 comments:

Bookworm Brandee said...

I loved this book as well! :) You'll enjoy Point of Retreat just as much. These characters are still with me - even 7 months later. I agree with you about the EMOTION that seems so prevalent in NA fiction. I've read so many gut-wrenching books lately! LOL Great review.

Krista said...

I know! It seems like my husband is laughing at me every day because I'm always crying over my books. :)