January 17, 2013

REVIEW: Reached (Matched #3)

Reached (Matched #3), by Ally Condie
Published November 13, 2012
Publisher:  Penguin
Format:  Hardback - own
Genre:  Young Adult Dystopian

Rating:  3.5 STARS

(From Goodreads) After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.

I waited a little while before writing this review, because I just wasn't quite sure what to say. I knew that when I read the last page and closed the book, I was slightly disappointed and unfulfilled. Usually when I feel that way after finishing a book, I can point to one or two specific reasons why. And, there just wasn't one this time. 

The love triangle was resolved the way I wanted it to. Everyone who mattered had a happily-ever-after. There were some twists at the end, too, to make things more interesting. All the elements for a great book were there. Honestly, when it comes down to it, I wanted to love this book. I expected to love this book. And, I just didn't. 

My favorite part about Matched was Cassia's budding relationship with Ky. I loved how he taught her things and was patient and kind to her. And, I loved how they loved each other. When they found each other again in Crossed, it was so sweet and satisfying. It was a wonderful moment. And, in Reached, when they were reunited once again, it fell so flat. No hugging. No kissing. No pretty words. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances, but this was supposed to be a big moment, and it was SO not. 

There was tons of buildup around The Pilot. I expected him to be larger than life. And, he ended up being just a guy with blue eyes and a bit of a cranky disposition. I wanted The Pilot to be someone who we already knew - someone significant. Big letdown on this one. 

Some of the things that made this a great series were still present. The writing was so pretty. Condie uses poems to help tell her story, and the writing itself is so much like poetry that it really does flow so nicely. And, I really did love the three different POVs. I didn't know if I would; I thought it might be confusing. But, it was a nice touch since Cassia, Ky and Xander were apart for much of the book. 

I just felt like so much more could've been done with this book. There was so much potential. So much opportunity to do some truly great things with these characters. It's sad that it just didn't happen that way.


1 comment:

Lola said...

I still have to read this book, but I have heard a few people mention already that they were a bit disapointed by this book. I guess I will read it eventually, but I am not in a hurry to read it. I am glad to know that the love triangle is resolved in a good way that makes everyone happy.