September 18, 2012

Book #99 - Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)


Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1), Tahereh Mafi
368 pages
dystopian
Started 9/7/12
Finished 9/9/12
5 STARS

I thought this book was going to be like Jenny Pox (which, I really didn't like). I picked it up anyway, mostly because of the hype and because many of my Goodreads friends seemed to really like it. So, I didn't know a lot about it except that it was about a girl who could kill people with her touch.

Yeah. Okay. Shatter Me is NOTHING like Jenny Pox. Think Hunger Games meets The X-Men, and you're getting closer to the ballpark. Juliette is a strong, resilient, slightly nutty girl who has been through hell and back. She can kill people with her touch - can you even imagine what that is like?? So, most people are afraid of her. There are two that are not. One is a boy from her past, who is inexplicably dropped into her present in the strangest way. The other is ruthless, heartless and fascinating and wants to use Juliette as the ultimate WMD.

Shatter Me completely captivated me from the very first page. The writing style was so very unique, with the crossed out lines and the sentences that sometimes read almost like poetry. It was such a remarkable way to get the reader inside Juliette's head. I felt so much for her, and I don't think the book would've effective captured my emotions if it had been written in a 3rd person POV.

Adam and Warner - wow. Adam is awesomesauce with extra awesome. And Warner is the bad guy that you struggle to hate. I LOVE it when that happens, don't you? He's horrible and cold, but gosh, sometimes he has these moments when you think that maybe he's not so bad. Maybe he can be rehabilitated. Maybe there's hope.

I am anxiously awaiting the next book in this amazing series!

No comments: