September 19, 2012

Book #100 - Bared to You (Crossfire #1)


Bared to You (Crossfire #1), Sylvia Day
360 pages
erotica, adult romance
Started 9/10/12
Finished 9/11/12
4 STARS

First of all - I remember in the beginning of 2011, I was hanging out on a parenting Web site and saw a mom who said she was aspiring to read 100 books that year. At the time, I remember thinking, "No way - that's impossible!" I love proving myself wrong.

Back to business. I read Bared To You, probably for the same reason that many people have. It's a "If you loved 50 Shades of Grey, you'll love this too!" book. And, I did love 50. A lot. And, honestly, I've kinda missed my 50 fix. After reading Bared to You, I can see why it's recommended for the fans of the 50 series.

Eva is poised to start a new life. She's moved across the country to New York to start her dream job at an ad agency. She has a great apartment with her best friend. She's finally starting to move past the horrible demons in her past. And, then she runs into Gideon Cross in the lobby of her new office building. I mean, literally runs into him. And, they both instantly know there's something between them that's intense and exciting. But, although insanely rich and devastatingly handsome, Gideon is just as messed up as Eva is. Time will tell whether that's a good thing or not.

Yes, the similarities are striking. Gideon is ridiculously rich and confident. It appears he's been abused as a child. He has control issues and stalkerish tendencies. And, he likes to have sex. A LOT. Eva has just graduated from college and has secured her first job. She has a serious lack of self-confidence. And, after meeting Gideon, she realizes she likes to have sex. A LOT.

But, Bared to You, is no Fifty Shades of Grey. Yes, one might argue that Bared is better written. And, I wouldn't put up much of an argument. But, Bared to You is missing a certain something. Fifty has a sort of excitement and happiness underneath it all that I felt was missing from Bared to You. Bared was heavy and much darker than 50. I felt like the world could've been developed more fully and colorfully. This guy is stinking rich - I want to read about that! It's part of the fun!

I really liked Gideon, but some things he did and said didn't jive with what I had in my mind. He gave in to certain things way too easily. A powerful man like that wouldn't capitulate so easily to a woman he barely knows. And, Eva - ugh. I don't get that woman. She flipped out over the tiniest things and let some major things slide. There didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. It was infuriating.

All things being what they are, I did enjoy Bared to You. There are a lot of secrets yet to uncover (and a lot more sex to have too, I bet). I do anticipate reading the next Crossfire book. 

No comments: