June 4, 2012

Book #61 - How to Flirt with A Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf #1)


How to Flirt with A Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf #1), Molly Harper
371 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 5/25/12
Finished 5/27/12
4 STARS

With a title like that, how could I resist? The compelling title, together with some solid recommendations from some friends who are partial to were books sealed the deal for me. I had to give it a shot - and I'm so glad I did!

Mo was raised by hippy dippy parents, and now that she's 30 and old enough to set out on her own, she can't wait to get as far away from them and po-dunk Alabama as her crappy new-to-her truck can take her. That ends up being Grundy, Alaska, home to big bears, hairy men and a bunch of wolves. Mo finds a new home and a new family in a grungy diner and the backwoods people that hang out there. And, she finds a new life with Cooper, the naked werewolf who shows up on her front stoop with a bear trap on his leg. Who knew?

Harper is one witty chick. The writing is sharp and hysterical at times. This isn't a "funny" book, though. I thought that was what it was (hello - the title?). There are some poignant moments and plenty of serious ones. But, for the most part, it's kept pretty light. Mo's banter with her friends and restaurant patrons made me smile a lot, and in some cases, laugh out loud.

My only complaint is that Mo seems to accept the plausibility of werewolves a little too readily. A sorta-friend-sorta-more-than-that finds his way to your doorstep with a bear trap on his leg. He tells you he's a werewolf; you even see him change. I don't know about you, but I'd be mildly freaked out. No - not mildly. I'd be pooping my pants. Mo? She's all, "Ohhh-kay. So, you're NOT free on the full moon, then?" I would've liked a little more freak out.

I think I'd like to check out the second book. It is about Cooper's sister Maggie (who starts out a major biotch and ends up pretty cool in the end). And, if it's infused with Harper's sense of humor, it's bound to be a good read too. 

1 comment:

LRAtRandom said...

I'm glad you liked this book!! The second is just as good if not better :)