May 21, 2012

Book #57 - Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12)


Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12), Charlaine Harris
327 pages
urban fantasy
Started 5/13/12
Finished 5/17/12
2 STARS

Why do I keep doing this to myself? My "must-finish-the-series-even-though-it-sucks"-itis has reared its ugly head yet again and caused me to suffer for nearly five days. Even though I have been disenfranchised with the Sookie Stackhouse series for the past four or five books, I still feel the need to see it through to the end. What can I say? I am a glutton for punishment.

This book could be summed up in one word. BO-RING. Why does CH think we care about all the mundane things Sookie does during her day? Let me tell you something, Ms. Harris. I read to take myself out of my own hum-drum life for a little while and let my mind go to exciting places with interesting people. I don't give a crap about a character who visits Taco Bell and the DQ for a good time, the daily workings of a bar and grill, or the recipe for sweet potato casserole. And, now, I don't really give a crap about any of the characters that I used to love. Sad. So sad.

Even though this is a series built around a girl's relationship with vampires in her community, said vampires weren't even present until 15% into the book. Both Eric and Bill are mere shadows of what they once were. They are sniveling, whining wimps who bow to the whims of a boring waitress with a crap attitude. And all Sookie does anymore is bemoan her lot in life. Well, guess what? I happen to think that Sookie should be thanking her lucky stars for her involvement in the supe community, because without them in her life, she would be the most dull person on the face of the Earth.

So, will I read the 13th and final (I HOPE) crap-tastic book in this series? *sigh* Yes - it is highly likely that the sickness will descend yet again and steal my good sense for another week. You can say, "I told you so."

3 comments:

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

This was how I felt in the last book and once I started to see reviews for this one I knew I would not like it. I don't know how I pulled the will power to not read it but I am holding strong. LoL Which is a shame because the series started off so good.

Krista said...

Kristin, I feel you. CH had me until around book 6. It all started slowly turning to crap after that. And, now we're left with a steaming pile of poo. It's very unfortunate. :(

LRAtRandom said...

2*, that's not good. I read books 1-10 one right after another almost two years ago and I'm afraid to read books for two reasons. First is all of the negative ratings for both books and secondly I'm not sure how easy it will be to get into the books after not reading them for so long.