April 1, 2012

Book #36 - Vanish (Firelight #2)


Vanish (Firelight #2), Sophie Jordan
294 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 3/20/12
Finished 3/21/12
4 STARS

I'm seriously in love with this series. I love the differences between this book and other YA urban fantasy/paranormal romance books. Jacinda is part of a race whose decendants are dragons. She can turn into a dragon on command, but can also walk around as a human. There are "hunters" out there who hunt those like her to sell them to butchers who use their hides and blood in various products. In the first book in the series, Firelight, Jacinda runs away from her pride with her mom and sister and ends up falling in love with a hunter. Talk about forbidden love.

In Vanish, Jacinda is trying to deal with being separated from Will, the hunter she loves, as well as bring shunned by her community. It's a lot to handle for a teenage girl who's already lost her father and her mother is in a downward drunken spiral. The beginning part of this book found me close to tears almost constantly. It was heart-wrenching and beautifully written so that I felt so much of what Jacinda was going through.

One of the seemingly bright spots in Jacinda's life is Cassian, the hot draki guy that ALSO loves her. She's so torn between doing her duty and doing what she really wants. Being responsible or being reckless. Being with Cassian, the prince of her race, or being with Will, the killer of her race. By the time she finally makes her choice, things have become more complicated and it's not as easy of a choice to make (as if it ever was to begin with).

Jordan's writing is wonderful. She made me feel all the anguish and desperation that Jacinda was feeling. She made me like "the other guy!" Although Will is the one Jacinda wants to be with, and will be the one she ends up with when all is said and done (I'm sure of it!), I find myself thinking I wouldn't be TOO upset if she ended up with Cassian instead. Jordan has truly come up with a gem in this series. I can't wait for Hidden. 

No comments: